23 March 2016: Design Lab session on surf board design and surfing

Sam Bleakley ‘TALKING LIVE’ in DESIGN LAB

23rd March 2016 @1.00pm in Roland Levinsky Building room RLB 213, Plymouth University

All welcome – free.

Sam Bleakley will be talking about surf board design and the impact surfing has on the ‘landscape of the individual’. In this session, he will be showing and talking through his film ‘Brilliant Corners’.

For Sam exploration is the essence of surfing, but he takes surfing beyond the wave, to a wider sense of place, to out of the way, corners of coastline to engage with the essence of place, landscape and its inhabitants, asking questions about us and our relationship with the environment:

‘For me, while exploration is the essence of surfing, I take surfing beyond the wave, to a wider sense of place. I want to travel to extreme places, out of the way, corners of coastline to engage with the essence of place, landscape and its inhabitants. The journey is as important as the goal. But I do not want to conquer the dark spots on the map. I prefer to think that the sea and travel shape me, rather than imagining that I stamp my identity on anything. I have come to appreciate that there is a place between acceptance and confidence that demands poise. We all know the feeling of poise. The trick is how you translate that moment into life as a whole.’

THE LIVE DESIGN SESSIONS is the 3D DESIGN research lecture programme at Plymouth University.